Nissan Serena Hybrid 2.0 (2016) - what to do when battery died/ cannot start your car? MALAYSIA

If you reading this because you are now facing this problem with your Nissan Serena Hybrid 2.0 (2016), following are the core steps:
  1. Confirm if your car is MAIN battery problem, signs:
    • wireless key will not work, can only unlock door manually with key
    • wiper, front light, dashboard & horn all will not work (no light at all)
    • break peddle (middle) very hard at bottom
  2. Solution:
    • Jump Start
    • Call your regular/ nearby Nissan center for battery replacement in advance (new battery need pre-charge an hour before install, accordingly)
    • Important tip: As car is hybrid with 2 batteries, this is the main battery location (red circle)
  3. Jump start rule:
    • You have to borrow from someone.  Your second row & back doors are all locked by system, you cannot access back of your car.
    • Portable jump start battery box will work
    • Connect jump start cable black to black & red to red
    • Within minute (1-2 minutes) > press horn > got sound > start engine > drive to change battery
  4. Myth about jump start:
    • Must be same model car (false)
    • Must charge x minutes before can start (false)
  5. Other things I learned:
    • Ask technician come change battery may not be option as it need to remove some parts near the circle & a calibration with computer is required
    • Tow service is not an option as steering wheel is locked by system.
      • if battery can be charged a bit and press push start button turn on dash board, steering wheel will be unlocked
      • Well, your car engine can be started like normal if you only have battery problem
    • Buying Tan Chong Motor insurance (Nissan car importer in Malaysia) has no technical support advantage

=================================================
Now my not so great experience with Nissan motor insurance care line - Malaysia
=================================================

Note: At the end I do get few helpful staffs helped me settle my problem. A great thank you to them. What I am summarizing here is a service gap.

  1. 22Nov2018 - Touched down in  KLIA2 discovered my car in Gateway@KLIA2 couldn't start.
    • Called 1-800-88-3838 Nissan emergency care line at 8.41pm @ 22 Nov 2018 
    • Duration of call is 7min 35seconds
    • Has informed my car model & parked in multilevel carpark
    • Also done trouble shooting check 
    • Agent gave me 3 options on the spot:
      • ask technician come to jump start
      • ask technician come change battery
      • ask tow truck to tow my car to a workshop i want
    • I asked for option 1 & 2 - the great response after that is "sorry sir, there is no technician available at this hour & KLIA2 is very far"
    • Meantime, I failed to jump start the car
      • I later realized the problem is I was connecting to the wrong battery (Day 2 story)
      • This totally can be avoided if the care line care a little bit more
    • Back to the options, I also don't know how to manage option 3, my priority is to send my tired family with two elderly and a toddler of 3 years old back home after 5 days travel.
    • I respect that so i took a Grab home first. Will try to settle this next day
  2. 23Nov2018 - went back KLIA2 from bukit jalil area
    • 7.49am - called 1-800-88-3838 Nissan emergency care line to arrange tow truck so that tow truck and I can arrived same time. Request rejected as i need to be there first.
      • As a fact, it was the suggested approach by another agent from same care line to do so (called at 22Nov 8.57pm)
    • Fine - I reached there and called care line again 9.48am
      • Another agent go through trouble shoot check again and arrange a tow truck
      • Checked to make sure hand break and gear can be shifted to neutral
      • On the conversation, she warned me cannot try jump start as it may damage my car & Nissan will not be responsible for any damage caused
    • Best thing happen - tow truck arrived at 11.10am
      • Car cannot be towed as steering wheel is locked by system
    • After tow truck driver and Gateway staffs helpful assistant --> they managed to jump start the car.  They managed to identify the right battery.  A great thank you to them
    • I then drive my car to Nissan Cheras Selatan service center to get my battery changed
      • Also big thank you for them to get the battery ready in advance too.
  3. Take away:
    • Tan Chong motor insurance care line is not technical equipped OR at least take effort to connect technician/ provide voice guided technical support
    • Nissan emergency care line is really waste of time.  They just want to close your request ticket and that's it.  Quote back:
      • Technician change battery --> not a viable option for Nissan Serena Hybrid
      • Tow car --> not viable as steering is locked by system
      • Only option --> jump start and drive yourself

Comments