Battery tips you should know before buying Nissan Serena Hybrid 2.0 (yellow intelligent key icon, cannot start engine)

Don't get me wrong, I love this car.  Just Nissan should educate or prepared for new Hybrid car owner better.

Why I said that?  Well, I had my previous battery problem in airport remember? (check my old post if you dont)
Now this is second incidence.

My Nissan Serena Hybrid car couldn't start, my dashboard yellow intelligent key icon is light up (pic 1).

  • Front light can turn on (pic 2)
  • Steering wheel can turn
  • Gear can shift to Neutral
  • Remote key work properly to open and close door
  • Break paddle is very stiff (system does not register I am stepping on the break, dashboard still ask me to step on break)
(pic 1 - when go in car with key before press anything)

(pic 2 - when pressed ignition/ ON button)


Quick answer for you if you are now facing this problem:
  • May be battery problem
  • Nissan Serena Hybrid required both MAIN and HYBRID battery to have enough juice to be able to start engine


Detail of my journey:
  1. My car broke down on Sunday. Such a good timing where I have booked my car service on Monday. 
  2. So I tried to look for info what it wrong as the "intelligent key is yellow"
  3. This is what Nissan's manual told me - steering lock OR intelligent key system may have problem
  4. I also tried to search online to find out more.  I guess it is a good thing I could not find related post for Serena = not common problem (or I am the only one who don't know).  There are some threads related to steering lock problem on OLD Nissan Altima.
  5. So, there is NO WHERE that tell me this can be just a battery problem.  A jump start could help (which can be DIY).
  6. I have tried call Nissan emergency center (as I buy tanchong insurance).  Key take is they will send technician to try jump start.  If cannot, then will send tow truck.  As it is Sunday, i wait till Monday (today) only i request for the service.
  7. Monday, 1 hour wait for technician. Jump start the car, drive to service center. 
  8. Info: the hybrid battery needs to charge one hour before can put in your car too.

What are my ask?
  1. Nissan should at least have some app or web that can do preliminary symptom check to tell the issue
    • At least owner can know do they need to call tow truck straight.  Reason being waiting time to engage both technician and tow truck (if unlucky) is long.
  2. Nissan, update your MANUAL book please.  
  3. I am guessing you are sharing dashboard intelligent key icon as there is no Hybrid battery indicator.  Can you figure out a way to add one more icon for hybrid battery?
  4. Educate your hybrid car owner to prepare on this.

What are my learning about Hybrid battery?
  1. Original hybrid battery (the small battery) has a warranty of 3 years.  My battery is 3 years and 2 months.  So, yes, I am not entitled for warranty.
  2. New hybrid battery has warranty of 1 year (if i remember it correctly).  Technician said don't worry, normally can last 2-3 years.
  3. Well, that lifespan isn't great if you know the hybrid battery is RM385 before tax as of 22Jul2019.
  4. I have asked - NO, option to remove the hybrid battery and function are not possible.
  5. In case you have upgraded to the extended 5 years warranty (pay about RM2k), let me have the pleasure to tell you - it does not cover your hybrid battery after year 3 also.
  6. IMPORTANT - remember to check if the yellow intelligent key icon is gone.  They need to reset the system to remove the icon (not just changing the battery).  They forgot to reset when they hand me my car. But done it in 5 min more.

Another learning about Nissan free car service for 2 years.
  1. It follows your mileage only even though Nissan tell you to go back service every 6 months.
  2. So my mileage is 40k km now, major service.  Damage today is RM1,200.



Comments